Preflight inspection of passengers and their belongings is conducted using technical and specific devices and (or) pat down and manual inspection procedure. The preflight inspection may include a pat down search of some passengers, which is conducted in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation.
The pat down procedure is applied when there is reported an imminent seizure or hijacking of an aircraft making a certain flight or or flying to a certain destination as well as if the inspection station lacks technical and special devices. The manual inspection procedure applies to:
- the passengers in loose clothes that obscure the body contours;
- the things, the inner content of which cannot be identified using technical and special devices;
- the baggage and belongings of a passenger who is identified as potentially dangerous;
- all passengers in a situation of an increased threat of illegal penetration on board of an aircraft making a certain flight.
The preflight inspection of passengers using technical and special devices includes the following sequence of actions:
- ticket, boarding pass and verifying identity document presented by the passenger are checked at the entrance to the inspection station;
- passengers are asked to report the items and substances prohibited to be taken on board an aircraft as well as the things taken from strangers (parcels, packages, etc.) for carriage by air;
- passengers are asked to remove any items containing metal (lighters, keys, cigarette packs, etc.), take off their upper garment (coat, jacket, raincoat, suit jacket, sweater, cardigan, etc., hat), belt, shoes and put all the things in trays or baskets, place them on belt transporter of the
- passengers are asked to walk through the metal detection arch;
- contents of baggage is inspected, including passenger belongings, upper garment (coat, jacket, raincoat, suit jacket, hat), belt, shoes;
- if the metal detection arch alarm sounds, a hand held metal detector is used to locate metal items in passenger clothes;
- the passenger is asked to walk through the metal detection arch again after the metal items have been removed and checked; if the metal detection arch alarm sounds again, inspection of the passenger is conducted using a hand held metal detector and pat down procedure.